What is the Commonwealth
The Commonwealth is a family of 54 nations, spread over every continent and ocean in the world. Although the people of the Commonwealth are different in many ways, they work together by sharing ideas and experiences, skills and knowledge.
Facts and Figures
- All countries in the Commonwealth are treated equally.
- About 30% of the world’s population live in the Commonwealth. That’s over 2 billion adults and children!
- Over half the people of the Commonwealth are under 25.
- It includes some of the world’s largest nations, like India, and some of the world’s smallest, like Grenada.
- The Head of the Commonwealth is Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- The Secretary-General of the Commonwealth is Kamalesh Sharma.
- Works to improve education for adults and children.
- Observers from the Commonwealth make sure that everybody is free to use their vote the way they want.
- Brings people together to talk about their problems and ideas.
- Take the Commonwealth Tour